Wages, hours and other benefits and rights
Federal and state laws regulate employer’s activities in setting the hours certain types of employees work and their rates of pay. Employers are required to display posters giving information about employees’ rights under certain federal and state labor laws:
- the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), which governs
- hours worked
- minimum wages for regular and overtime hours
- the number and duration of breaks, etc.
- the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Child labor laws
- Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA)
- Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act
- equal employment opportunity laws and regulations
- laws regulating the conduct of companies contracting with the federal government
To get information from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), go to this website:http://www.dol.gov/dol/audience/aud-employers.htm. The DOL’s main web page is http://www.dol.gov/.
To get information from the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC), go to this website: http://www.twc.state.tx.us/customers/jsemp/jsempsubcrd.html. The TWC’s main web page is : http://www.twc.state.tx.us/.