FAMILY ISSUES | Spousal and Child Abuse

If you or one of your children has been subjected to physical or emotional abuse by your spouse, you have the right to seek help to prevent such abuse in the future.

First, get away from the abuser. If you don’t have a relative who can safely shelter you or your children, your local law enforcement agency can direct you to a service or agency that provides help and shelter for victims of abuse. Also, the Texas Health and Human Services has helpful information about family violence centers and organizations on its website:

    If your child is the victim, you have a legal obligation to report the abuse, and if you don’t you may be subject to prosecution along with the abuser.

    Second, if it is appropriate, seek spiritual advice from your priest, pastor, rabbi, imam or other spiritual advisor.

    Third, seek legal advice about your rights and legal options.